As the name suggests self hypnosis is a form of hypnosis where a person induces the state on themselves. By now most people are aware of the many positive benefits that hypnosis episodes and self hypnosis brings all those same benefits but with the added bonus of being able to be in complete control of the situation.
Just like hypnosis, self hypnosis can be used to aid weight loss, smoking cessation, sleep, relaxation, confidence and any number of other goals a person may have.
In this article because we will be looking at using self hypnosis for relaxation. Using the nine steps below you can teach yourself and experience the feeling of self hypnosis. Before we begin though I would like to say that hypnosis is not the magical “mind control” instrument some believe it to be. While you are hypnotized you will still be able to hear anything going on around you and most people remember everything that goes on during a hypnosis session. Instead expect to feel loose and relaxed.
Now we can begin the self hypnosis session.
1. Find a quiet room where you can either sit or lie down comfortably. Do not cross your arms or legs as this inhibits your circulation. Also make sure that you will not be disturbed for around thirty minutes.
Close your eyes and countdown as you take ten slow, deep breaths. Breathe in through your nose and breathe out through slowly pursed lips.
3. Allow yourself to feel any tension in your body. Starting with your toes and slowly moving up to the crown of your head Imagine every part of your body becoming lighter and lighter. Move from your feet up to your calves, then your thighs, hips and so on. You may feel a tingling sensation in the body part you are thinking of, do not worry this is perfectly normal.
4. Now your body will feel completely relaxed. Take ten more slow, deep breaths as you did before and appreciate just how loose and relaxed your body feels.
5. Begin to visualize yourself (either first or third person is fine, whatever comes naturally) resting on a big, fluffy cloud. There is nothing else around you. Feel how comfortable and relaxed you are on this fluffy cloud as it begins to descend gradually downwards. After a minute or so of traveling down the cloud stops and the darkness begins to transform into your perfect relaxation location. It might be the beach, the top of a mountain or wherever else you wish.
6. Let yourself off the cloud and step into this wondrously relaxing place you have created. Experience everything there is to experience about that place. Feel the ground beneath your feet, the breeze in the air and the sun on your face.
7. While you are enjoying this relaxing place affirm to yourself just how good you feel. Repeat positive affirmations such as “I am feeling calm and relaxed”. You could also include other affirmations here to help achieve other goals you have. For example if you wish to lose weight you could repeat the phrase “I enjoy eating healthy foods”.
8. When you are ready to end your session go back to your cloud and let it take you up and away.
9. Countdown from ten to one. While you do so begin to stretch out your muscles out carefully until you get to one where you can slowly open your eyes
You have now experienced self hypnosis. Like most skills, with self hypnosis, practice makes perfect so try doing this exercise a number of times. Once you've got the hang of it you could either look for more self hypnosis scripts on the internet or consider buying a course online. If you do decide to buy a self hypnosis course though please research the people behind the course thoroughly. Make sure they are a qualified hypnotherapist and have experience recording audio.